Jewish City Tour in Mexico DF
Historical Jewish Tour in Mexico DF
By this tour, travelers can learn and know how it was started and how is developed the Jewish community life in Mexico.
Our hallmark is that all our guides are ACTIVE MEMBERS of the Local Community, and that our tours are organized hand by hand with local institutions.
Jewish immigrants arrived in Mexico in the early twentieth century and settled in what is now known as the Historic Center.
Its streets recreated old traditions: they opened grocery stores, European bakeries, kosher butchers, in their neighborhoods (villas) lived, studied, using their rooms to organize prayers, tailors workshops created and met the Mexican traditions.
With this city tour we visit the places where Jewish life was the early twentieth century, different neighborhoods and we enter to know two of the oldest synagogues in Mexico.
What are we going to visit by Jewish City Tour?
The tour starts at a meeting point, to be confirm when booking.
Places to visit:
* The Loreto Park where the immigrants met, there the history about immigration is known.
* The Monte Sinai synagogue, the first in Mexico.
* The streets of the "Old Merced" to see places where the daily life of the Jews was: Jesus Maria, Soledad, Moneda, Loreto, etc., where was the Yavne school, the first butchers, grocery stores, bakeries, workshops, places of prayer, of meeting, the matzah factory, the mohel house, the first rabbi, the cook, the teacher, the midwife, who gave him merchandise to sell ... none of this exists but there are photos and testimonies.
* Then they go to a neighborhood (conventillo) to know stories of the Jewish life that happened there (Interior visit)
* Tour ends at the Ashkenazi Synagogue.
It is a walking tour.
Duration: 2 hours.
* OPTION OF A MORE COMPLETE TOUR OF 3 HOURS (ask for extra cost)
The visit starts at a meeting point: The Plaza de Santo Domingo
* The history of the Plaza Santo Domingo is known where the Inquisition was,
* A walking tour of the neighborhood of Jewish immigrants,
* It is known the place where the first Jewish college, the "Israeli School"
* Visit a market that has significant murals and where there is a theater where "Idish Theater" was made.
* Then continue the same tour as the 2-hour tour.
** It takes, at least, 5 working days to book the service prior to the date of the tour.
TO KNOW ABOUT THE PRICE OF THIS TOUR, PLEASE SEND AND EMAIL TO: email@example.com
* Bilingual guide (Spanish / English) - A member of the local Jewish community, specialist in the history of the Jewish community.
* Entry to the sites visited
* Donation to Jewish places visited
* Cost of trasnportation by local taxis. (if necessary)
The tour begins at a meeting point we confirm to passenger at the time of booking.